Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The Iron-Jawed Boy

The Iron-Jawed Boy
By Nikolas Lee

"Year 2300
Protea: Capitol of the Eldanarian Isle

Two hundred years have passed since the lands of the Outerworld humans were destroyed, save but a handful of rebellious cities. In their ruin, the last gods of Earth, the Illyrians, rose victorious. And ever since, it's with a cruel iron fist they've ruled over their subjects--desperate to keep their thrones.

Fast approaching his teens, Ionikus Reaves knows the gods' malevolence all too well, orphaned by them after their call for a military draft on Eldanar, his home island. But when a power once dormant in Ion boils to the surface, he's whisked off to a hidden world of the island, where he comes face-to-face with the mighty Illyrians.

For Ion is a Guardian--a reincarnated god bound to serve and protect the pantheon he's so quickly learned to hate. Now torn between his obligations as a Guardian and his hatred of the gods he's to guard, Ion finds himself in the middle of a war within himself. A war that could uncover a dark secret of the gods'...and split the pantheon in two." Courtesy of Goodreads

Rating: 5 of 5

I will admit I was very skeptical of this book. I kept coming to on my "to read" list and trying to decide how I felt. I was then asked by the author to read and review it. I am very glad I accepted. I absolutely loved this book. 

Ion is such a great character. I automatically felt for him from the beginning. He is ripped from his family, has a piece of iron sealed to his face, sold into slavery to a complete jerk, nearly killed and then told he is a guardian for the society who caused all of this. This poor child. How do you cope with all of that? I understand how conflicted he feels throughout the book and how skeptical he is of the whole situation. I love how Vinya reassures Ion and makes him feel more comfortable in his new surrounds and with his powers. The climax of the story was one I hoped wouldn't happen, but I was blindsided by the help from the outside. The resolution was bittersweet. I only have one reaction to the ending: ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

I'm dying to read the second book. I have added this book to my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment