Monday, December 9, 2013

The 39 Clues, Pt. 1

The 39 Clues: The Maze of Bones
By Rick Riordan

"Minutes before she died Grace Cahill changed her will, leaving her descendants an impossible decision: You have a choice - one million dollars or a clue.
Grace is the last matriarch of the Cahills, the world's most powerful family. Everyone from Napoleon to Houdini is related to the Cahills, yet the source of the family power is lost. 39 clues hidden around the world will reveal the family's secret, but no one has been able to assemble them. Now the clues race is on, and young Amy and Dan must decide what's important: hunting clues or uncovering what REALLY happened to their parents." Courtesy of Goodreads
Rating 5 of 5
I absolutely love this author. I loved the Percy Jackson series and thought I would give this a try. I wasn't disappointed
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The thought of going on an adventure and trying to find out a big secret would be absolutely amazing. Amy and Dan Cahill are your typical siblings in a not so typical situation. I loved that they chose to burn the two million in inheritance and go on the chase. I hope I would make the same choice in that circumstance. I could identify with how overwhelmed they felt by everything that was happening. It had to be hard on them. The odds continued to stack against them. Every member of the other teams seemed to be out to get them. (Uncle Oh is shady, too, but I'm going to reserve judgement for now.) This book is fun and educational. I learned more about Ben Franklin from this book than from the rest of my history courses I have taken (which I believe is ridiculous). Coming from someone whose almost least favorite subject was history, I think these books are a way to get kids interested in the subject. 

I feel I need to read further into the series in order to see if the things I have concerns with are resolved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment