Monday, December 9, 2013

Beautiful Creatures

Beautiful Creatures
By Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

"There were no surprises in Gatlin County. 
We were pretty much the epicenter of the middle of nowhere.
At least, that's what I thought.
Turns out, I couldn't have been more wrong.
There was a curse.
There was a girl.
And in the end, there was a grave.

Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything." Courtesy of Goodreads


Rating: 5 of 5

Ok, so I lost some sleep over this book. It's very captivating. I love them relationship between Lena and Ethan. For him to give up everything he had known for her is a big sacrifice, especially in a small town where image and pride is everything. These two are so great together. I wish I could communicate with people the way they could. The ending was probably my favorite part. It made me cry and shake with anger. Macon?! And Ethan?! Really?! Come on! Then the sacrifice and the cast and everything. It was so good. 

The book was very long for the story that it told. I thought I would never finish. The thing that threw me was that I watched the movie before reading the book. I normally do it the right way around but curiosity got the better of me. Big no, no in this case. I almost feel like the movie and the book are two separate things. It's kind of like the rumors spread in the town: same basic information, two totally different ways of portraying it. It also bothers me that Lena, her family, and Amma keep Macon's sacrifice from Ethan. I could understand why, but it'll ruin things in one way or another. 

No comments:

Post a Comment